We get it – cleaning feels like a chore. Because it is! An effective way to tackle spring cleaning is to do it in stages. Here are 10 tips for sprucing up your home, one room at a time:
· Create a schedule: Don’t try to do everything over a weekend. Clean a room or space at a time and move on once the area is finished.
· Declutter: A clean, simple space is refreshing for the brain. While going through each room, consider what you want to keep and what you don’t have an attachment to, then donate or trash what doesn’t make sense for your environment.
· Consider natural ingredients: Choosing environmentally-friendly cleaners is safe for the entire family. Mix up your own solution of water, vinegar, and baking soda to use throughout the house.
· Start at the top: Give ceilings attention first! Use vacuum or dusting attachments to remove dust off ceilings, corners and overhead fans, then work on windows before moving to floors.
· Multi-purpose tools: Invest in a steam cleaner to clean walls, floors, and everything in between.
· Clean out cabinets and pantry: Purge expired items or donate perishables that you don’t plan on using.
· Replace worn items: Freshen up your space by swapping out worn items for new: shower curtains and liners, towels, area rugs – a simple swap instantly brightens the space!
· Hire a professional: Air conditioning ducts and dryer filters need to be cleaned throughout the year. Do if yourself or hire a professional to replace dirty filters and lines.
· Brighten up décor: Want to revamp the space? Change out darker textiles for lighter, brighter ones – linens, bedding, and throw pillows are an easy place to start.
· Stay on task: If allergies are a concern, frequent cleaning will help keep dust and dander to a minimum.
Spring cleaning is definitely an undertaking – but one that’s well worth it!